1) Click the Adjustment Layer icon in the Layers palette.
2) Click Photo Filter. The Photo Filter dialog appears.
3) Click the color thumbnail. The Color Picker appears.
4) Click and select a dark brown or black.
5) Click OK to close the Color Picker.
6) Deselect the Preserve Luminosity check box.
7) Click and drag the Density to a higher percentage if desired.
8) Click OK to close the dialog. A dark filter covers the image.
9) Click the layer mask thumbnail.
10) Click the Rectangular Marquee tool.
11) Click the Feather data field and type 100 for the hi-resolution photo.
12) Click and drag a selection over the center of the image.
13) Press D to set the foreground color to white.
14) Press Backspace to fill the selection with black.
15) Click (Ctrl + D) to deselect the marquee.